Staff Selection Commission or SSC conducts Combined Graduate Level exam every year for recruitment for non gazetted posts for the Government of India. The Examination is conducted in four tiers- Tier I, II, III and IV. SSC CGL Combined Exam 2017 Tier-I concluded on 23 August 2017. SSC CGL 2017 Tier-II exam is due on 10th and 11th November 2017.
SSC CGL Tier II Exam is an online objective exam consisting of 4 sections. The exam will be conducted over two days with Paper 1 and Paper 2 on the first day and Paper 3 and Paper 4 on the second day. Before working on the strategy and the preparation tips to crack the SSC CGL Tier II Quantitative Aptitude section, let us have a look at the exam pattern.
Paper 1 is Quantitative Aptitude Section, in which candidates have to attempt 100 questions in 2 hours. Quantitative Aptitude Section carries a total weight age of 200 marks, so each question is worth 2 marks. Candidates must remember there is negative marking and 0.50 will be deducted for every wrong answer.
|Paper||Subject||No of Questions||Max Marks||Exam Duration|
|1||Quantitative Aptitude||100||200||2 Hours|
|2||English Language and Comprehension||200||200||2 Hours|
|4||General Studies (Finance & Economics)||100||200||2 Hours|
Quantitative Aptitude is one of the most important and scoring sections of the SSC CGL Tier-2 Examination and requires more preparation as compared to the other sections of the exam.
- Before starting your preparation of Quantitative Aptitude section, go through the complete syllabus. Important topics for Quantitative Aptitude Section are as follows.
- Mensuration:Triangle, Parallelogram, Rectangle, Pathway in a Rectangle, square Rhombus, Trapezium, Circle, Cube, Cylinder, Cone, Sphere, Hemisphere, Frustum, Right Prism, Pyramid and Tetrahedron.
- Arithmetic:Number System, Percentage, Profit and loss, Simple interest, Compound interest, Average, Ratio, Proportion, Partnership, Mixture & Allegation, Time and Work, Pipes and Cisterns, Time, Speed and Distance, Problems on Train and Problems on Boat and Stream.
- Data Interpretation:Basic Concept, Bar graph, Pie charts, Table charts and Line graph.
- Algebra: Graphs of Linear Equations and Algebra and Elementary Surds. Trigonometry:Trigonometry Ratio Identities, Trigonometric ratio of multiple angles and Compound angle, Sign of Trigonometric ratio, Range of Trigonometric Ratio, Value of different trigonometric series, Height and Distance.
- Geometry:Basics of Geometry, Quadrilaterals, Triangle, Regular Polygon Triangle, Polygons, Circle etc.
- Practice calculations by making use of short tricks and formulas to enhance your speed, problem solving skills and also to save time in solving questions faster.
- Clear your basic concepts and strengthen your strong and weak areas. Algebra, Trigonometry and Geometry carry around 50% weight age while arithmetic also carries equal weight age.
- Study the most recommended books for SSC CGL Tier 2 Quantitative Aptitude preparation:
- Quantitative Aptitude by S Aggarwal.
- Quicker Maths by M Tyra
- Lucent SSC Higher Mathematics by Rishikesh Kumar
- Fast Track Objective Arithmetic by Rajesh Verma
- Advanced Mathematics by Rakesh Yadav
- NCERT books for Maths (Class 7th to Class 10th)
- SSC Mathematics Chapterwise Solved Papers from 1999 Till Date by Kiran Prakshan
- Quantum CAT by Sarvesh Kumar
- Arithmatic Maths by Neetu Singh
- Revision is the key to success so revise all the important topics and concepts before the exam. Make a habit to prepare short notes such as formulas while preparing for different topics.
- Mock Tests are important and crucial part of preparation. Start taking SSC CGL Mock Test to check the level of preparation for each section. Analysing mocks is equally important so that you understand your weak areas and then you can improve accordingly. Once your preparation is over, take full-length and sectional mock tests to measure your progress and determine your speed & accuracy in solving questions.
- Candidates should also join online SSC CGL Test Series to enhance your speed and accuracy.
- It’s also important to solve SSC CGL Previous Years Question Papers and Practice papers since they are prepared keeping in the mind the last year’s exam pattern and level of questions.
Hope the tips provided in this article will help you score well in the quantitative aptitude section of the SSC CGL Tier 2 exam.